Sunday, November 26, 2006

Oh The Weather Outside is Frightful...

Global Warming! The Polar Ice Caps are Melting! Earth's temperature is Rising! The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! Ooops. 86 that!

Well, it's snowing here in the Puget Sound area right now, which is odd since it's not even December. We rarely get snow here, and if we do, it lasts for a few hours or a day and melts away because of the proximity of the water. However, I can hear my neighbor's kids outside screaming and playing in the snow with delight. Children in this area always bemoan the lack of snow in the winter for two very good reasons: fun to play in, and school is usually cancelled.

I remember a particularly heavy snowfall several years ago, where we actually got almost eight inches of snow. When I awoke that morning I was elated to find that work was cancelled and the neighborhood was beautiful. Early afternoon my doorbell rang, and it was my best friend and neighbor's 8 year old daughter, with her school chum in tow. "Can we play in your yard? We used up all of our snow already."

After the girls had "used up" my snow, I made them hot chocolate and sent them home. Later they brought me cookies they had baked.

Here is a photo of the view from my living room window. Normally I have a nice water view of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the Cascade Mountains, but the heavy cloud coverage obscured it all.

Hopefully we'll get some snow for Christmas!



Addendum: The cloud coverage lifted slightly a few hours ago and revealed the water view, but the mountains are still hidden.

|